We are a full-service consulting engineering firm specializing in all facets of structural, geotechnical, civil design & investigation, as well as rehabilitation and renovation related engineering and consulting services all through out the East Coast. Our services cover every stage, from conceptual and feasibility planning to detailed design and construction management.
Soil and Structure is committed to providing our clients with the most innovative, progressive, and economical design solutions available.
We provide the best service in industry
Details About Our Services
Structural Engineering Design
SSC collaborates with architects, owners, and contractors to find creative solutions for demanding projects. As an integral part of the design team, we explore, develop, and present multiple options and help to select the best solution. We draw on our knowledge, gained through decades of designing and investigating structures and building enclosures, to appropriately balance performance, reliability, and cost. And throughout construction, we roll up our sleeves to anticipate issues, solve problems, and help ensure the design intent is achieved in the completed project.
SSC offers a wide range of services within the field of structural engineering, including :
- General Building Design for New Construction for Wood, Masonry, Steel or Concrete Construction
- Miscellaneous Structural Design (Retaining Walls, Basement Walls, Septic tank design)
- Feasibility Studies of Various Structural Systems
- Building Renovation
- Curtain wall and Partition Design
- Structural Rehabilitation, Repair & Alteration
- Load Surveys and Structural Analysis
- Building Evaluation Reports
- Peer Reviews and Plan Reviews
- Construct-ability Review and Value Engineering
- Computer-Aided Design and Drafting
- Construction Administration
- Expert Witness
- LEED/Sustainable Design
- Value Engineering
- Construction Consulting
The firm provides services covering all phases of structural engineering. These services include studies of structural systems in the conceptual stage, preliminary design and cost estimates, final design and working drawings, specifications, and general on-site observation of the structural work throughout the construction phase.
Structural Repair, Remediation & Alteration
SSC offers extensive expertise in the structural analysis & design, field & laboratory investigation, testing for repair & rehabilitation, alterations of existing & new buildings, building facades & building components including balconies, plaza decks and garage decks. Our Engineers cover all special abilities required by the constraints of existing buildings and structures suffering from distress caused by foundation failure and subsidence or, as a result of general structural deficiencies, corrosion and material deterioration associated with aging.
Services include preparation of construction bid documents and specifications for repair work, construction cost estimating, and construction monitoring.
- Remedial building structure design services that include evaluation and design to bring existing building up to current codes; evaluation of existing building damage due to fire, wind, or snow and development of a potential repair plan
- Foundation Remediation
- Structural Framing and Finish Repairs
- Repair Work Bid Documents and Cost Estimates
- Structural Rehabilitation, Restoration and Additions
- Foundation Waterproofing and Vapor Barriers
- Beam, Column, and Footing repair
- Upgrading of Floor Load Capacity
- Facade Restoration and Repair
- Code Violation Remediation
- Construction Administration of Repair Work
- Quality Control Inspection of Repair Work
- Repairs to Structural Concrete
- Porch and Balcony Repair and Replacement
- Roof Rafter Repair and Reinforcement
SSC offers detailed inspection services to Home Buyers, Home Owners, Realtors and Home Inspection Companies in Northern Virginia, Maryland, and the District of Columbia. Our licensed professional engineers and inspectors provide a comprehensive narrative report that covers a detailed analysis of the specific structural framing, foundation, and drainage conditions of the property. Typical items we evaluate and diagnose include:
- Foundation Wall Damage
- Damaged Framing
- Roof Damage
- Retaining Walls
- Basement Water Intrusion
- Yard Drainage
- Soil Erosion
- Slope Stability
- Stream Erosion
- Private Bridges
Geotechnical Investigation, Design & Reporting
SSC’s engineers and geologists have extensive experience evaluating site conditions and developing effective strategies to mitigate potentially adverse site conditions that can increase the cost of development.
At SSC, we know what’s below the surface can be as crucial and complex as the structure it supports. Subsurface conditions can dramatically affect your project’s design, budget and schedule. Our teams of geotechnical specialists combine extensive knowledge and innovative solutions that deliver cost-saving, practical and code compliant designs. We provide geotechnical engineering services on residential, commercial construction, and public works/utilities construction projects.
SSC team has a lengthy track record in working with clients on fast-paced projects where responsiveness is critical to project success.
Some of our services Includes:
Engineering Analysis and Design
- Geotechnical Investigation (soil borings and standard penetration testing) for residential, commercial, and public construction.
- Site Development Feasibility Studies
- Excavations and Embankments
- Shoring Investigation and Design
- Footing Subgrade/Foundation Soils Verification (either with standard drill rig or hand auger/DCP)
- Foundation Engineering, including design of Deep Pile Foundations and Reinforced Concrete Slabs to Mitigate Poor or Weak Foundation Soil Conditions, as well as Design of Underpinning Systems Utilizing Helical Piers and other systems.
- Slope Design & Stabilization
- Lateral Support and Retaining Wall Design
- Pavement Condition Surveys, and Recommendations for Flexible or Rigid Pavements and/or Pavement Overlay or Repair;
- Earthwork and Grading Technical Specifications.
- Percolation Testing for Septic Field Design and Storm Water Infiltration Trenches
- Site & Soil Classification as per the Applicable Building Code
- Soil Borings and Rock Core Drilling
- Geophysical Testing
- Test Pit Excavations and Logging
Civil / Land Planning
SSC’s experience has shown that most successful land development projects require involvement of a design professional from start to finish who understands the entire development process and who will help the client coordinate and direct all aspects of the land development process. SSC can provide the professional design services that clients require to create purposeful, successful projects that maximize return on a property with efficient, economical and constructible designs.
Our Civil Engineering Division can take a project through planning and zoning, preliminary design, mapping/platting, and ultimately to the final design stage where the project is ready for bid and construction. Thereafter, we provide construction support through plan clarification, contractor and field surveyor coordination, and as-needed plan revision.
SSC staff has extensive experience in providing land development/civil site engineering services to commercial, residential, multi-family and institutional clients.
SSC provides the following services during the land development process.
- Land-Use Concept Plans
- Feasibility Studies for New Construction
- Grading & Erosion Control Plans
- Comprehensive Plan Amendments
- Rezoning Exhibits and Submittals
- Planned Unit Developments (PUD)
- Permit and Regulatory Assistance
- Lot Grading and Septic Plans and Permits
- Construction Observation
- Water Quality Impact Assessment Studies
Construction Inspection Services
SSC is available for long-term residential and commercial construction projects, or we can be on site within hours of an isolated request. Because we are staffed entirely with engineers and inspectors, we oftentimes are able to recommend design changes in the field and provide signed and sealed design modifications to the city or county if needed.
Once the construction item (e.g., footers) has been approved, a signed and sealed inspection report is left on site and a copy is filed with the respective city or county the very next business day. This assures you that there will be no delay in getting a final approval of your permit by the local building official.
Our most popular construction inspection services include:
Home Inspection Services
All real estate and home inspections include complete evaluations and documentation of all the home’s major systems: roof, exterior, structure, hvac, and electrical systems. Complete photo documentation and professional reporting is used on all residential inspection reports.
Commercial Inspection Services
We also offer complete commercial building inspections for private clients as well as public municipalities Our main building inspection services are complete inspections evaluating all the major systems of the building, including but not limited to the roof, structure, exterior, interior, heating and air conditioning and electrical systems. We also provide construction progress inspections, insurance liablility and pre-construction inspections. All commercial inspection packages come with complete photo documentation and written narrative reporting on each of the buidings systems.
Third Party Inspections
SSC is one of the most reputed third party inspection agencies in the Washington DC metropolitan area. We are certified to perform third party inspections in the District of Columbia, Prince Georges County, Montgomery County, and Northern Virginia. Our inspectors use their experiences and knowledge of design and construction processes to insure compliance with requirements of the building codes as well as approved construction documents.
During construction, our staff provides quality assurance and quality control functions to determine if the construction procedures will produce the results required by the project plans and specifications. Engineers resolve problems that arise in the field and assist in developing remedial treatments to maintain project cost and schedules.
Grading Inspection & Testing
- Single-lot residential Grading
- Commercial/industrial Grading
- Asphalt Inspection/Quality Control
- Compaction/Density Testing
- Subdivision Grading Inspection
- Utility Trench Backfill Testing
- Retaining Wall Backfill Testing
- Concrete Sampling /Testing
Special Inspection Services
- Reinforced Concrete
- Structural Masonry
- Spray Applied Fireproofing
- Structural Steel and Welding
- Post Tension Concrete
- Pile Driving and Caissons
Drainage & Erosion Inspection Services
All SSC consultations, assessments, and installations are performed by a licensed professional soils engineer or scientist. These professionals have over 35 years of combined design and contracting experience.
Our engineer will perform an assessment of the current situation and provide design solutions for:
Wet Basements & Moist Foundation Walls
Wet basements or crawl spaces are often sources of immediate and long-term problems. Standing water inside and/or seepage into residential crawl spaces and basements can cause frustrating problems for the homeowner. These problems can be both immediate and long term.
Wet basements and crawl spaces are sources of high humidity, which can produce surface condensation, mildew and fungi, musty odors, and an unhealthful environment. Such moisture can cause deterioration of floor joists, beams, sub-flooring, insulation, and electrical-mechanical systems.
Prolonged water around the footer and foundation wall can soften the soil and weaken its bearing capacity, increasing the possibility of foundation wall movement. Serious seepage under the foundation footer may erode soil away and cause the wall to drop or crack.
SSC engineers can assist homeowners with wet basements and moist foundation walls in assessing the source and extent of the problem and in finding a remedy.
Soil Erosion is the loss of soil from the ground surface. It is a process that is always occurring but it can happen faster if we misuse the land or if the ground surface is not adequately protected with vegetation and drainage swales. The rate of erosion can be increased by removing or limited plant cover, poor grading plans, wind, frost and rain and water runoff. Two of the most common types of soil erosion are water and wind erosion.
Water or splash erosion is the detachment and airborne movement of small soil particles caused by the impact of raindrops on soil. Sheet erosion is the result of heavy rain on bare soil where water flows as a sheet down any gradient carrying soil particles. Where precipitation rates exceed soil infiltration rates, runoff occurs. Gully erosion results where water flows along a linear depression eroding a trench or gully.
Wind erosion is the movement of rock and/or sediment by the wind erosion can be reduced by installing windbreaks near the problem area. This includes the planting of trees, shrubs, or other vegetation, usually perpendicular or nearly so to the principal wind direction. The wind causes dust particles to be lifted and therefore moved to another region. Wind erosion generally occurs in areas with little or no vegetation, often areas where there is not enough rainfall to support vegetation.
An SSC engineer can design a solution to stabilize the ground surface and prevent further surface erosion.
Stream and Shoreline Stabilization
Streambank and Shoreline Stabilization is the process of protecting a stream or other body of water by re-shaping and stabilizing the bank. Where stream banks are eroded, they are re-shaped and seeded, and sometimes protected with rock rip-rap or seeded with bio-engineering materials.
Stabilizing the stream bank or shoreline protects water quality, improves fish habitat, and the vegetation provides habitat for birds and small animals. If animals are a problem, fencing restricts access to the bank or shore and there for prevents soil from eroding.
An SSC engineer can analyze your stream and design a solution for restoration and continued stabilization.
Cause of wet basements and crawl spaces
Most wet basements or crawl spaces are caused by surface water that is not adequately drained away from the foundation wall. Sources of this water include the following:
- Improperly installed window wells.
- Roof water if no guttering is present or the gutters are clogged.
- Excessive watering of flower beds and shrubbery around the foundation wall
- Rainwater runoff from the adjacent lawn, walks, or driveway areas if the landscaping forces water to drain toward the house instead of away (i.e., negative drainage conditions).
- Nearby creek(s) may overflow during storm runoff and either directly flood basement or crawl space areas, or contribute to the groundwater, which may become sufficiently high to cause seepage into the basement or crawl space area.
- Improperly installed, clogged, collapsed, or leaky drains may not allow downspout water or foundation wall water to escape.
- Underground drains leading away from downspouts may not have sufficient slope to carry water away.
- Damp or wet basements and crawl spaces may be caused by ruptured water or sanitary lines either just outside the wall or under the house.